Carol Gray is the Director of The Gray Center for Social Learning and Understanding in Grandville, Michigan. She has completed over 22 years of employment with Jenison Public Schools in Jenison, Michigan, initially as a teacher with students with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and in recent years as a consultant to students with ASD in inclusive educational programs. In 1991, Carol developed Social Stories™ and Comic Strip Conversations, strategies that are used worldwide with children, adolescents, and adults with autism spectrum disorders (ASD). She has published several resources on topics related to children and adults with ASD, including articles on bullying, death and dying, and how to teach social understanding. (Carol’s complete three-part series of articles, Gray’s Guide to Bullying Parts I-III, 2000-2001, was reprinted under one cover in a special edition of the Jenison Autism Journal, Vol 16 #1, 2004). She is the recipient of the Barbara Lipinski Award for her international contribution to the education and welfare of people with ASD.
Social Story™ Resources (Books, DVD, Storymovies, and Quarterly back issues)
Thinking Stories: Web visitors frequently ask for more information about the "Thinking Stories" that Carol has developed. Here's more information about those!
If you would like Carol to consider speaking for your organization:
- Read Carol's "Workshop Information" sheet
- Print out the speaking request form and send it to Melissa and Carol at Carol's office. Fax: 616-214-7935
- Please note that Carol arranges all her own speaking. Gray Center staff does not assist in scheduling her presentations.
Additional Biographical Information:
- Graduated B.S. degree from Central Michigan University
- Attended Grand Valley State University for endorsements in special education, for mentally impaired, learning impaired, and emotionally impaired
- Received endorsement to teach autistic impaired from Western Michigan University
- Additional post graduate work at Calvin College
- Endorsed by the State of Michigan as an Educational Consultant